Super Mario Cupcakes


A friend of ours held a Mario Kart championship last weekend. I didn't make it out of the heats but the cupcakes and cookies I made for the occasion did go down well!

I made the vanilla cupcakes from a Mary Berry recipe from Red magazine found here and lemon flavoured cookies from the recipe here (using a quarter teaspoon of lemon rather than vanilla and making sure to chill the dough properly). I used a star cutter for the cookies and chose from my silicone cases so they would compliment the icing colours of the cupcakes.

Then came the fun part. I made up the buttercream for the Mario and Princess Peach cupcakes (I also did Luigi green ones but don't have a pic of them).

250g of icing sugar and 55g of butter, beaten until combined and fluffy. I then divided it into three parts. I then used pink food gel for Peach, red for Mario and green for Luigi, mixing well to combine and then piping them onto the cupcakes. I bought the toppers from eBay and then used the following.

Princess Peach - pink edible glitter and pink sugar
Luigi - green edible glitter
Mario - gold edible stars



I cheated and bought a pack of white fondant icing and then rolled it out and used a round cookie cutter to make the top of the Toad cupcakes. I then took a bit of the fondant icing and kneaded in red food gel, I then rolled it into small balls and flattened them out to make the toadstool spots. For the Bowser cakes, I kneaded in green gel and then rolled out and again used a round cookie cutter to make the top circle. I then took little bits of white icing and formed them into spikes and used a little dab of water to attach them.

For the cookies, I combined yellow food gel with the fondant icing and rolled them out, and used the same star cookie cutter as before to cut out the icing and attach them to the cookies with a little bit of water. I then took a very small amount of the fondant icing and then added some black gel, rolled it in worm-like like shape before cutting thin strips to add them to the stars to make the eyes.

Have fun!


Comments

Popular Posts